Hey everyone,

I'm haven't completely exorcised the demons that are possessing my
server. Now my Win95 users are unable to print, and it seems that a problem
with the samba config, specifically settings for a WINS server, appears to
the be the problem. Here's the log:

thales:/home/wilsont# tail /var/log/nmb
[2000/10/04 06:59:40, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(180)
  process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received
for name EINSTEIN<03> from IP 10.22.100.52 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2000/10/04 06:59:40, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(181)
  Error - should be sent to WINS server
[2000/10/04 06:59:40, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(180)
  process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received
for name EINSTEIN<00> from IP 10.22.100.52 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2000/10/04 06:59:40, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(181)
  Error - should be sent to WINS server
[2000/10/04 07:01:24, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(180)
  process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received
for name SCIENCE<00> from IP 10.22.100.58 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.

What's strange is that I've never had to worry about a WINS server before. I
didn't change anything. I don't currently have a WINS server set up in
smb.conf.

Any wisdom from Samba gurus out there? I must admit I'm rather clueless
about SMB networking and WINS in particular. Must I make my server act like
a WINS server to keep the Win95 clients happy?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/