On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Eric Hillman wrote:
> I was sure this subject had come up before, but I can't find any reference to
> it -- does anybody have any tips on tracking down an IP address on the Internet
> that has no reverse-lookup  entry and blocks traceroute?  I'm getting an
> alarming number of internal attempts to access an outside website without
> permission, and I have no idea whether it's some evil spam or just Internet
> Explorer Update doing its thing...

(my version of whois automagically queries the right server, in this case
whois.arin.net..)

[natecars at oracle natecars]$ whois 206.10.252.1
[No name] (NS3738-HST)          NS.REAL-TIME.COM
206.10.252.1
Minnesota Regional Network (NETBLK-MRNET-C-BLOCK8) MRNET-C-BLOCK8
                                                    206.8.0.0 -
206.11.255.255
Real Time Enterprises, Inc. (NETBLK-REAL-TIME1) REAL-TIME1
                                                 206.10.252.0 -
206.10.253.255

To single out one record, look it up with "!xxx", where xxx is the
handle, shown in parenthesis following the name, which comes first.

The ARIN Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Network Information: Networks, ASN's, and related POC's.
Please use the whois server at rs.internic.net for DOMAIN related
Information and whois.nic.mil for NIPRNET Information.

[natecars at oracle natecars]$ whois 'NETBLK-REAL-TIME1'
Real Time Enterprises, Inc. (NETBLK-REAL-TIME1)
   10181 Crosstown Circle
   Eden Prairie, MN 55344
   US

   Netname: REAL-TIME1
   Netblock: 206.10.252.0 - 206.10.253.255

   Coordinator:
      Master, Host  (HM170-ARIN)  hostmaster at REAL-TIME.COM
      612-943-8700

   Record last updated on 18-Jun-1999.
   Database last updated on 4-Oct-2000 07:16:53 EDT.

The ARIN Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Network Information: Networks, ASN's, and related POC's.
Please use the whois server at rs.internic.net for DOMAIN related
Information and whois.nic.mil for NIPRNET Information.

...that'll at least get you to the ISP, probably..