Well, with mail you can't specify an smtp server.  It just gives the
message to your locally running sendmail and then sendmail sends it off.
If you're trying to send an email to joe at blah.com, you just type

mail joe at blah.com

The message will appear to joe as if it came from the machine that you sent
it from.  In order to make it appear that it came from
you at yoursmtpserver.com you'll have to use a bit more sophisticated MUA.

HTH,

Gabe

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 01:41:01PM -0500, Jonathan Erickson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a small problem using the command line "mail" program.  I want to be
> able to send a message to an internet email account.  I think the
> "/etc/mail.rc" file needs to be edited but I'm not sure of the syntax.  How
> do I specify the smtp server and such?
>
> Jon

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Ooo-eeee-Ooooo, Killer Tofu!"	- The Beats "Killer Tofu"