I finally did my first kernel compile over the past couple of days,
and actually found it to give me a real satisfying feeling of better
understanding Linux.

But I have one remaining problem.  When I boot up my machine, it
prints a whole bunch of information about what it's doing.  This seems
to be some sort of RedHat-specific thing, since it doesn't appear in
dmesg.

What I see is a bunch of things like:

Starting Kernel services                              [completed]

At any rate, one of these is

Searching for new hardware                            [FAILED]

This isn't critical to me, but bothers me a little.  My guess is that
there's some configuration argument to the kernel compilation that
I've got wrong.  I believe that this has something to do with kudzu.

If anyone could point me to the solution, I'd appreciate it.

thanks!