On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 04:33:45PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Ok, read back orifice FAQ and comparision.
>
> But my question is still not answered. What is the difference
> between BO and VNC?

BO only works on Windows machines, both the "server" on the "infected"
machine and the "client" on the "controlling" machine.  There does
seem to be command line applications available for the *NIX's, but it
was primative at best when last I looked.

VNC is cross platform, in comparison.  Likewise, it has wider
applicability, though it doesn't do things like control a Windows
registry entries transparently from the user.

BO is designed to be an nework administrative/hacking tool for Windows
platforms.  VNC is designed to be a graphical thin client for X and
Windows platforms, the client-server aspect applicable from both ends
(you can control a *NIX X desktop from a Windows box and a Windows
desktop from a *NIX X desktop).

They were developed for different reasons under different development
teams, so the structure of the programs are entirely different.  BO ==
network administrators utility toolkit for Windows networks.  VNC ==
the *NIX/Windows network adminsitrator's remote desktop control tool.

Both are very powerful, and both have their uses.  In both cases,
they're alternatives to much more costly proprietary software.

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie