On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 08:20:02AM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
> Well considering hte fastest DSL I can get is 144k, it should be. The cable
> companies only seem to be able to figure out how to get 2Mbps down and 640Kbps
> down.  That's still better that most DSL out there.

...which generally just means that the bottleneck gets moved elsewhere on the
network.  Granted, I don't spend a lot of time moving large blocks of data
around, but when my DSL was at 256k, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of
sites (other than debian.org) that could fill that pipe.  Now that USWest and
visi have pulled their rate limiting and I can do 640k, even debian.org will
frequently be unable to pump data out fast enough to fill it.

A 2M or 5M connection would be serious overkill...  I suppose it might help
latency some and it would certainly improve multiple simultaneous transfers
(unless they're all to/from the same host), but that's about it.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+