Well if his dhcp client sends a Renew request to the server, the server
can reject it.  The dhcp client will then just ask for a new IP.  As long
as he doesn't muck with the client (or bypass it altogether and just
statically configure it) he can't cause any trouble.  The server can
always reject renew requests if the address has already bgeen reassigned.
I don't think there's anything he can do to the configuration of the
client that could screw anything up, I think he'd have to modify the
source.

If the IP has already been leased to someone else, and his client asks for
that IP (in a renew request) the server will send a NACK back, then an
OFFER with a new IP.

In any case, by changing the lease time you're probably not helping
yourself at all.  As soon as the lease ends your client will send a renew
request back to the server and you'll get your IP back anyways.  The lease
time just dictates how long before you have to renew again, but if the
server reboots you may be SOL.  I believe ISC's stores the lease
information in /var somewhere so if the server restarts it'll know who has
what leased...but I don't know about whatever DHCP server they're using.
If it's Microsoft's it'll probably explode or something...

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications