I'm also going to recomend the Athlon route, on an Asus board.  you can
pickup a Duron 600/board/fan for around $200 from www.vikingcomputers.net
or from general nanosystems, or tran micro.  tho you may want to go for a
full blown tbird system.. don't go super cheap on the ram.. get some nicer
PC133 ram.. it's only 20-30$ more (at 128mb) and you'll get a much more
stable system.  i've had lots of random segfault problems when a board and
ram don't mix well.. www.1stchoicememory.com is good about matching ram to
boards.. just email them what board you have (or are getting) and they
will match it to correct memory timings.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)