Well, I've been boycotting Intel for a long while, so I recommend an
Athlon.  A 600 mHz one is only around $100 or so.

ASUS mobo's are top of the line and I've had great experience with their
Athlon mobos.

RAM is, well, RAM.  I've never had a problem with the cheap, generic stuff.

As far as cases go, I used to be totally sold on Inwin cases (I have a
Q500A full-tower), but if you want a _really_ kickass case, go with a
SuperMicro.  I swear they make the sturdiest, coolest cases.  I expecially
like their 760.  It's designed for a dual Xeon system, so with a little ATX
mobo and a single CPU, there is plenty of room to move around in it.
Though, once again, it's a full-tower case (which I prefer - I don't know
much about mid-towers).

Though, for what it's worth, my next machine will be a dual G4 Mac, so I
can't really be relied on to be up-to-date on PC tech :).

Gabe

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 07:32:18AM -0500, Kent Schumacher wrote:
> I came home last night to a dead motherboard.  Terribly sad.
> Now I have to upgrade!!!
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?  I would like to get something
> this week so possibly I need to purchase locally.
>
> At any rate, I want to keep my hard drives, sound, video, and ethernet cards.
> I guess I'm looking for a motherboard, with processor and memory installed
> in a new case (my current case is circa 1990, and it doubles as
> my helicopter landing pad...).
>
> Case: Midtower w/ accessible bays for 2 CD drives and a floppy
>
> CPU: Something in the 650Mhz or better range
>
> Memory: 128Mb or better
>
> Mainboard: I don't need any ISA slots, all PCI is good.  I want an AGP port
> and good USB support...
>
> Anyone have recommendations about what works well with Linux, and where to
> buy it.  This system will never run Windows (or CPM, or other legacy OS's)...
>
> Whoo Hoo!!!  A new toy^H^H^Hcomputer system!
> Kent

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"I've been known to lie, but this here's a true story."
					- Narrator in "Big House Blues"