Possibly an odd question, but did you rerun ldconfig and/or check to see
if libxpm was in a path it finds (/etc/ld.so.conf in Slackware, at least).
There should be a line that says /usr/X11R6/lib.

Another issue might be who you're compiling it as.  If you're doing it as
root, try logging in as your normal user account, do the configure and
make, then su to root and make install.  libXpm might be in your path, but
not root's.

If those fail, try configure with these options:

  --with-xpm-includes=DIR
  --with-xpm-library=DIR
  --with-xpm

Michael Vieths