> than the PPro architecutre, which the kernel optimizes just fine for.. the
> only distro that comes with all pentium-optimized (pgcc) binaries, is
> mandrake, and it shows, i think it's the most unstable distro out there.

I've been using Mandrake since 6.0.  I've never had problems with .1 or .2
releases, but .0 releases are evil, stay away.  And don't do an upgrade, do
a full install by moving stuff you need to your /home partition, and just
don't format /home.  I've found that it likes to install 2 different
versions of some packages sometimes.  Overall, Mandrake works very well, and
seems to be noticably "snappier" than other distros, at least when running
X.  Mandrake for desktop, Debian for servers...  :)

Jay

> most distributions are 386, or 486 compiled.  the Pentium 4 is little more
> than the PPro architecutre, which the kernel optimizes just fine for.. the
> only distro that comes with all pentium-optimized (pgcc) binaries, is
> mandrake, and it shows, i think it's the most unstable distro out there.

Only because they couldn't write a spec file if their company depended
on it. Apparently it doesn't...