On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Clay Fandre wrote:

> > I've apt-get upgraded my workstation to XFree 4.0.1, but I'm having trouble
> > with kdm. When I put in my password I get the following error message:
> >
> > Startup program /etc/X11/kdm/Xstartup_0 exited with non-zero status.
> > Please contact your system administrator
> > Please press OK to retry.
> >
> > I've looked at Xstartup_0 and I don't see anything fishy. I suspect a
> > permissions problem. Any insights from the X gurus out there?
> >
> I had the same problem, but with gdm. IIRC there was a package missing,
> which Xstartup_0 called. Look at the script and see what is being called
> and make sure it's installed.

Clay,

I've looked at the scripts, but I don't see anything unusual at all. It
looks for the presence of /etc/nologin, but I don't have that file. I just
can't see why this script is running into trouble. Any other Debian users
recognize this problem?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/