Is C++ the death star to C? I just read some news that shocked me!

  Page 420-421 O'Reilly "Running Linux" 3rd edition:

"There's also a new kid on the block, egcs. egcs is not a completely new
compiler, but is based on gcc. egcs has some advanced optimization
features and is especially strong when it comes to C++ features like
templates and namespaces. If you are going to do serious C++ programming,
you will probably want to check it out"...

 (My C happy-face wrinkles repugnantly at the visual of a template, point
and click object-oriented Candy Land)

 "The Free Software Foundation has recently announced that egcs will
become their default compiler, thus replacing egcs' own ancestor gcc."

   Is C on a one way trip to Hades, to join its friends B and COBOL
in an icy logic tomb while fuzzy windows move into town??

    - Jamie