I finally got a second PCI video card, and hooked up a monitor to it.
Wrote my config file no problem. works great when I start it as root.

however, running as an ordinary user; startx gives me error messages about
"Authentication Failed -- cannot start X server
Perhaps you do not have console ownership? giving up."

I _did_ have it working once; but then I started trying to get xinerama
working, and after leaving it for a day, X doesn't want to start now.

X4's server isn't SUID like the old ones were; (which probaby accounts for
why xserverrc files cause problems now); and I don't see any SUID files
along the startx->xauth->xinit->XFree86 series. when I had it working; X
_was_ running as root, however.

I'm going to guess that xauth is the culprit here; but I don't know why/how.
cookies are put into .Xauthority at start time.

also, how does one specify to start xinerama automatically? 'startx --
+xinerama' will work; but is there a way to put that in a config file
somewhere? .xserverrc would seem to be the place; but I believe that would
only work if XFree86 were SUID.

how have other people dealt with these problems? I would expect it's
something fairly straightforward.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer