I am using a combination of PHP4, Apache, and MySQL to access a small
database on an intranet. I tried recreating the whole works on a
laptop that I could use for development but I cannot get things going.

I have used rpms for everything on both systems except for PHP which
I compiled from source code. The server is running RedHat 6.2, while
the laptop I am having trouble with is running version 7.0.

I seem to have PHP running fine except for the fact that it cannot
access the MySQL databases. The databases seem to work fine from the
command line using the mysql client.

I believe that the problem lies with RedHat 7 from what I have been
able to figure out from various newsgroups. I know RedHat put out
updated MySQL RPMs but they have not solved my problem. I dumped
those for the latest stable RPMs from MySQL, but they do not seem to
work either. I am have scoured deja.com/usenet for an answer but I
have yet to find it. Has anyone else come across this and found a
solution?? I could really use it!

Here is my current setup:
RedHat 7.0 - kernel 2.2.16-22
MySQL-3.22.32-1 (rpm)
MySQL-client-3.22.32-1 (rpm)
apache-1.3.14-3 (rpm)
php 4.0.3pl1 (compiled with '--with-mysql' and '--with-apxs')

Thanks,
Mike