On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Jamie Ostrowski wrote:

>   I was thinking about studying for the RHCE test. Has anyone here thought
> about studying, or have taken the test?
>   I must admit I was shocked by the price to take the test. $749! I wonder
> how they justify charging so much to administer an exam. That seems
> somewhat ludicrous. I have been eating Maruchan Raman noodles for months
> now. That certification sounds good, but may take me several years to save
> up for that test!

Jamie,

I took the RHCE test quite recently.  It definitely is not like the MSCE
stuff.  You take not only a tough multiple-choice test, but also an
installation test and a troubleshooting test.  Here is the deal:

The multiple-choice test includes around 50-75 questions or so (I don't
remember the exact amount), but many of them are not as simple as they
may appear to be.  I thought it would be the easiest part of the test,
and it ended up being the hardest... or at least the one where my score
was the lowest anyway.  I checked with the other guys who took the test
with me, and their experience was roughly the same.  You should
especially distrust the questions that look really simple.

The troubleshooting part of the test is really interesting.  Basically,
you boot into a broken system via a kickstart floppy.  By broken I
mean that there is something malfunctioning.  Sometimes the system
totally fails to boot.  Some other times, it does boot but there is a
partition missing, or you cannot log in, or... anything!  You get four
of these, and they are obviously worth 25% each.

Finally, the installation part of the test consists of a list of
requirements that is given to you.  The list does not only include the
requirement to install the OS, but also a given set of conditions:
account so and so should not have a shell, you also need to configure
Apache with two virtual hosts, need to set up TCP_WRAPPERS in a given
way, configure anonymous FTP access, user whatever likes Gnome as the
default desktop environment but user whomever prefers KDE, etc.

As far as I remember, each part of the test was worth 100 points and
in order to pass you need to get at least an average of 80 points.
However, you cannot pass if you obtained less than 50 points in any
of the three parts.

All in all, I liked the experience.  It's a hands-n exam, as opposed
to the MSCE tests.  You learn quite a bit while preparing for it.  In
general, I think Red Hat tried to avoid the "paper MSCE illness" and
they pretty much achieved their goal.  I mean, getting the RHCE does
not mean by any means that you're a Red Hat Linux guru (I can testify
of that myself), but it certainly guarantess that you do know how to
do some basic troubleshooting and install the OS according to some
specifications (and therefore, how to configure some basic services).

Nitebirdz
Thus spake the master programmer:
"You can demonstrate a program for a corporate
executive, but you can't make him computer literate."