<opinion mode=noflame plea=pretty-please>
BrainBench certs are worthless in the job market.  Besides the
tests being too easy to cheat, the exams are poorly thought out.

According to them, I'm one of the top-fifty fastest typers in America (at
least I was...so long ago)
The unix admin test asked me what a user ID was.  I passed with
flying colors.  Knowing what a UID is makes me a unix admin?

We've had this discussion on isp-services.  Brainbench is good for a
laugh, but no company will hire you for it.  I don't know that the $750
RedHat test is taken any more seriously, but at least it won't be as
diluted as Brainbench because it's so expensive.

<rant>
Brainbench became as bad as MCSE, but in 1/10th of the time.  I don't know
anything about the redhat exam, but let me tell you what a good
certification is not.  For $1000 you can go to an MCSE boot camp, memorize
the possible questions and answers, and statistically only have to take
the test 2 or 3 times until you get 75% (or whatever) of the answers
that you remembered.  Congratulations, you're an MCSE/CCNA/A+ or whatever.
You'll get hired as the head of IT because of your MCSE, but you won't
know anything.  Maybe this is why most NT systems suck so bad - nothing
but the anti-clues running the show.  You know that TCP/IP is that thingy
you need to install to make your NT system talk to the internet, but you
don't know that it's based on a 7-layer burrito...er...model.  Subnet
masks are always 255.255.255.0.  Event Viewer is how you troubleshoot,
etc.
</rant>

Again, I don't know how the redhat exam is put together, so I can't say
whether it's worth the money or not.  I'm sure you'll do very well, but
don't expect to be able to whip out a Brainbench certificate during an
interview and not get laughed at.  You might as well buy a degree from the
Diploma Spammer (once spammed, twice LARTed).

</opinion>

<fact>
Some companies might pay for the test.  Working down the hall from, and
providing access to Ascolta and Techskills, I get quite a deal on tests
and certs (if I only had the friggin time!).  Many companies will pay for
your training and certification, if it will make you more valuable to
them.
</fact>

<sig (hey, I'm on a roll here...)>
Adam Maloney