IIRC, single quotes have a -1 effect, braces offset 2 characters and
pipes negate 4 characters.  All alphanumeric characters have a weight
of positive 1.

Be careful of characters which are not completely formed.  These
so-called dimple characters can cause the Supreme Court of UN*X (aka
init) to rewrite the command altogether.