Hi Liz,

> speaking of - something I've always wanted to know, but never got the
> nerve to ask...I'm VERY familiar with editing the .login file for use on
> csh, tcsh, etc...but what about bash? bash doesn't seem to operate the
> same way and I'm so used to my customized environmnet in tcsh, it's about
> the ONLY reason I haven't played much with bash. how do you set up alias's
> there?

Systemwide environment settings for any user login on any shell are in:

/etc/profile

In the user's home dir, two files set up the environment:

~/.profile - universal setings for any shell login, for that user
~/.bash_profile - specific to bash logins only, for that user

--
Bill Layer
Sales Technician