Netbios is netbios....how do you "optimize" it anyway?
Netbios is a MS protocol which implies an MS OS. I'd
assume that whoever wrote samba had in mind that it
would most likely be talking to MS boxes otherwise why
use it?

I've been able to get up to 7.5MBytes/sec at ideal times
doing big file transfers. Thats about 60-65Mbits/sec from linux
to 98 with no tweaking. Thats optimized enough for me! :)

Heh...as for the price, well, thats what i *used* to pay from
places like CDW for Intel eepro100 cards. Havnt bought
any for a long time so Im sure they've come down. Plus,
when we buy at work we usually pay the traditional corporate
markup cost too. So your telling me places like Best Buy
are selling Intel nic's for $35?

Cheers