I really like the NetGear's over the Intel's. The nerwer netgears use a
different
chipset than what they originals did (original was a Digital 2114x). I've
had a netgear point me to a faulty switch that would lose its port link
for very breif periods. Under normal circumstances I never would have
know it to be a problem but the tulip driver with a 2114x chip will report
when the link heartbeat fails--even if only for a fraction of a second.
Attention to details like this sold me on those cards. The newer ones
with a different chip still uses the tulip driver but I havnt tested to see
if the heartbeat sense is still there.

I've had consistantly seen a bit lower performace with intel cards doing
a samba file xfer from linux to 98 when compared with the netgear
solution. For the average Joe there's not much of a difference but
when you look at $20 vs $80 for *at worst* a comprable performing
card, i choose the netgear.

My .02 worth...