Jon

Thanks. I received another reply from David Abraham which was your basic rtfm
as I had missed the part about pam setup. I fixed that piece, so the demon
wouldn't start at all. To answer the question, it would prompt for the
password and then fail, as if the password given was incorrect. Now, I might
not be able to type the user/pass combination correctly in 10 tries... The only
complaint it gave was that RSA generation would fail. This turned out to be
because the dir /etc/ssh didn't exist. Once that was created, all things, at
least presently, are working! Thanks for the hint that solved the problem.

Ed Hoeffner

HOEFFNER at dcmir.med.umn.edu wrote:

> Gabe
>
> Yup. ps -ef shows it's actually running, and restarting it didn't help. About
> the only thing I didn't try was a reboot, but I can't imagine what difference
> that would make -- afterall, it ain't winders!

When you try to connect to the ssh server from the ssh client, does it prompt
you for a password or does it just give you the "Permission Denied" message.  If
you're trying to use password authentication, check the /etc/ssh_config (client)
and the /etc/sshd_config (server) and make sure that password authentication is
set to "yes".  If you change the sshd_config file, you'll have to kill -HUP
<pid> the sshd process before any changes will take place.  Anybody else have
some suggestions for him.

Jon