Well,

> Why the hell can't PalmOS get installed/upgraded from Linux?

That doesn't make much real sense to me.. the connection to the PalmOS device
is a simple serial interface. Any task that Win32 can perform with a
serial interface, can also be done in Linux (only better :). Since the OS
upgrade is just a serial transfer, I image that the Linux pilot-link suite
should be fully capable of this, with only a little hacking. Heck, you might be
able to do it with minicom...

The question in my mind is, what is the 'magic bullet' that turns a
run-of-the-mill app install or data fetch into a flash-OS programming
operation? If this is not already documented, it should be possible to log the
entire transaction between the PC and the PalmOS device performing an OS
upgrade (Win32 SoftICE?), and then begin reverse-engineering the procedure from
that data. I doubt there is any form of encryption used.

Or maybe I'm oversimplifying it..

--
Bill Layer
Sales Technician