Ok, never mind my reply, since I just repeated what you said, but I still
think it should be ||.  && is not the same as & (and is not the same as &&
in java, say).

If you have

make dep && make clean && make bzImage

for example, make clean only runs if make dep returned 0 and make bzImage
only runs if make clean returned 0.  In the time setting context,  he had

ntpdate server1 && ntpdate server2 && ntpdate server3

So, ntpdate server2 only runs if ntpdate server1 exited 0, in which case
the time is already set, so the entire expression is retundant.

Gabe