When you look at it, WINE is free but with that you also get limited
support, but WINE does have better DirectX support than both Win4Lin and
VMWare.

Win4Lin and VMWare don't emulate windows, instead they emulate a computer.
The benifit is that you can get almost every feature the OS supports, but
bad is they are a bit more hardware intensive.

Win4Lin isn't at hardware intensive as VMWare, but, you're limited to
running Windows 9X Virtual Machines.

VMware has a few variants. They recently announced VMWare Express, which is
a dumbed down VMWare that was made compete with Win4Lin in both price and
features. With VMWare express, you're limited to Windows 9X, but the price
is under $100.

With full blown VMWare you can run just about any OS that runs on Intel.
MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Win9X, NT4, Windows 2000, BSDs, etc. (I belive ME isn't
officially supported yet...but it still might work.)

Win4Lin's goals are a bit different than VMWare's as well. Win4Lin's goal is
to run every business application they can with minimal amount of overhead.
VMWare's aim is to fully suppoer all the features of the guest OS.
(Including Multimedia like QuickTime, DirectX, etc.) VMWare is getting
closer to that goal with each release, QuickTime video actually looks decent
on the latest release (sounds aweful though!).

I use VMWare myself. Mainly for getting to sites that are broken in
Netscape/Mozilla. I have Office 2000 installed under it as well just incase
I can't get a file to convert decently. I also use it for testing NT/2000
server and workstation setups. At one point I had an NT4 BDC running under
vmware. I have yet to install a UNIX os under VMWare, and have yet to see
the need (though playing with Solaris or Free/Open/Net BSD might be fun...)

Hope that helps you make a decision. :)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132