On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:46:17AM -0600, Kent Schumacher wrote:
> I typically string 3 or four servers coupled by &&'s in case one of
> the servers is down.  For example...
>
> ntpdate time.nist.gov && ntpdate for.a.good.time.call.gov && ntpdate time.enough.org

I don't think this makes any sense.  The second expression only procedes if
the first expression returns true.  So, in order for this entire expression
to finish, each one of the sub-expressions must exit normally.  So, you're
just setting your time 3 times and if first expression fails, your
time doesn't get set at all.

Or, I could be completely wrong about the behavior of &&.  It seems to me
that you'd want to be using some sort of logical OR here (maybe ||, but
I'm not sure if that's a valid operator in shell).

Gabe
Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    University of Minnesohta
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Hey archvillian!!  Take a taste of my hypercorrosive croutons!!"
				- Powdered Toast Man in "Powdered Toast Man"