I made a couple changes to my system and now I can't login.  I added a line
to my /etc/profile file and I made a change to the /etc/passwd file to have
root use bash instead of sh.  After I changed the /etc/passwd file I logged
in from another console and I was able to get in ok but after logging out
my main console I couldn't get back in.

When I login as root it says:
Last login: Sat Oct 21 21:19:53 on tty1
You have new mail.
Then it gives me a blinking cursor but no prompt and it doesn't respond to
keystrokes except ctrl-alt-del.

When I telnet in and try to login as another user I get a message that says
"sh: ulimit: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted".

Any suggestions?  (Besides don't do that again?)