Quoting Brett Astleford (ghettobretto at hotmail.com):
> hey guys,
>
> i cant get mandrake 7 to find mysql on the localhost, connection fails(port
> 111) whenever i run mysqladmin or mysql utilities.  Plus, a very dumb
> question, where the hell is the localhost directory, i need to replace the
> content and I cant find it!

Port 111 is sunrpc. MySQL stuff should be be connecting to that port.

I cannot remember if NIS needs to have portmapper, which runs on port 111.
Anyone on this?

If you are running NIS and somethings foobar'd then you'd get something like
this error message.

They default rpm for MySQL puts everything into /var/lib/mysql

I am not sure what you mean by localhost directory.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (612)943-8500