On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 07:02:37AM -0600, Adam Maloney wrote:
> I ran a shop with all 3c905b's and never had a problem, but here it seems
> that I've had 2 of these things go bad on me in about 6 months.  I had
> problems similar to what you describe.  My web-cache server was using one
> and we were seeing LOTS of errors on the interface.  We moved it around on
> different switches and cables, but finally ended up replacing the card.
>
> We only saw it happen when there was a lot of data.  This machine does
> about 2MByte/s sustained.

I've had recent problems with the 3c59x.o driver with the Debian
2.2.17 kernel package.  The only way to get my NIC (a 3com 3c905B-TX)
to work was to boot to 2.0.36, download the kernel source, and compile
it monolithically myself (make-kpkg, of course).  Not sure why this
problem exists -- haven't bothered to research it.

I haven't noticed any packet drops or problems since.

--
Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
             http://www.wookimus.net/