Andy Zbikowski wrote:

> From time to time, yes. Lately though sound has been fine (Espically
> suprising since I now play Quake 3 under Linux.) You could try libesd-alsa0
> instead of libesd0. (My onboard Via sound is supported through Alsa, if this
> doesn't apply to you, ignore me!)

OK. I got alsa working with my onbord via. Thanks BTW. But when I try to
install libesd-alsa0 it wants to remove just about every helixgnome
package. How do I install it while keeping my helixgnome?

# apt-get install libesd-alsa0
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  bug-buddy codecommander dia eog esound gaim-gnome gdm gedit ghex
glade-gnome
  gmc gnapster gnome-applets gnome-bin gnome-card-games
gnome-control-center
  gnome-core gnome-games gnome-gataxx gnome-glines gnome-gnibbles
  gnome-gnobots2 gnome-gnometris gnome-gnomine gnome-gnotravex
gnome-gtali
  gnome-gturing gnome-gv gnome-help gnome-iagno gnome-iconedit
gnome-mahjongg
  gnome-media gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pim gnome-pim-conduits
  gnome-same-gnome gnome-session gnome-stones gnome-terminal gnome-utils
  gnome-xbill gnomeicu gnucash gnumeric gqview grdb gtop helix-sweetpill
  libcapplet0 libesd0 libgdk-pixbuf2 libglade-gnome0 libgnome-pilot0
  libgnome32 libgnomeprint11 libgnomeprint6 libgnomesupport0
libgnomeui32
  libgnorba27 libgnorbagtk0 libgtkhtml4 libzvt2 memprof pan rep-gtk
sawfish
  sawfish-gnome sawfish-themes task-helix-core task-helix-gnome
xchat-gnome
  xmms xmms-vorbis
  libesd-alsa0
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 75 to remove and 32 not
upgraded.
Need to get 15.5kB of archives. After unpacking 93.2MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Heck no!