Andy Zbikowski wrote:

> I'm having some minor issues with network drives on windows 2000 that are
> mapped by the domain login script:
> The command is a basic
> net use T: \\server/share /persist:no
>
> The problem is that after awile windows 2000 shows the drive as
> disconnected. Accessing a file on the drive or double clicking on the drive
> seems to reestablish the drive without problem.
>
> The question is, is this a CAL saving MS trick or is SAMBA disconnecting the
> client? This doesn't happen with shared mapped off the Windows 2000 server.
> The windows 2000 users know enough to be dangerous, and cooked up a bat file
> to reconnect thier drives. For now this works, but there must be a better
> soultion. /persist:yes might do it but I haven't experimented. (Yet)

As far as I know, and from a little experimentation, it's a bit of a MS
trick.  The drives are still mapped, and there isn't any problem or
delay that I've noticed in getting to the shares/mapped drives.

On the Linux samba shares, I can't say.  I generally don't stay
connected to a Unix samba share long enough for it to disconnect or
drop.  Unfortunately, don't run Linux at work.  Except for on my
personal laptop that is.

I'll finally be able to start experimenting on my own at home with a
pure Linux and Linux/MS LAN.  I finally managed to upgrade to a new
computer (desktop) and am going to dual boot both of them.  I haven't
had a chance to work on the Linux networking part at all yet with my
laptop at work, so I'm new to this as well.

Is there anything that I need to be concerned about in regards to having
an HP Jet Direct box for my printer?  Or can I just do the IP address in
the host file and set it up that way?  I'll be using SuSe 6.4 on all of
the machines.  So it'll look like this:

Primary machine: SuSe 6.4/W98se, AMD T-brid 1GHz, 256MB ram, 45 GB
harddrive (20 GB partitions for each OS), 10/100 3C905C NIC

Secondary machine: SuSe 6.4/W98se, P200MMX, 64MB ram, 6.4 GB HD (3GB
parts each), 3C905B 10mbs combo card (ethernet, coax, AUI?)

Third: Laptop  IBM ThinkPad, Suse 6.4, PII266, 128 MB ram, 10/100 PCMCIA
3Com NIC.  BTW, haven't had a chance to work on sound or built in modem
yet.

Hub: 3Com 10 mbs 8 port ethernet

Jet Direct box: HP Jet direct 3xx series I believe.

Printer: BJC-4100

  I'll be reading up on this stuff soon, just wondering if there's any
precautions that I need to think of before hand.  On the Jet Direct box,
it does have Unix drivers.  But it also assigns an IP addy to itself of
169.215.16.135 or something like that.  I'm planning on this being a
peer to peer network in windows, and I'll be leaving my hub, HP JD box,
and printer on all the time.  I want to be able to allow each machine to
print without having to have all the machines on at the same time.

Thanks,

Shawn