>What you probably got was a Northern hemisphere monitor that
>had been being used south of the equator.  Once it was set with the
>polarity correct it recovered ;)
>> I'm very happy with my 21" vertically-flat ViewSonic PT810 that I have
>> at home. bought it used (www.erpcsales.com), paid < $600 for it after
>> shipping & handling. it shows its age a bit at times; but it improved
>> quite a bit after some use (dunno how they were using or storing it
>> before; perhaps it was magnetized somehow).

naah, probably had been in an environment with too many plastic
rulers. too much static electricity. after moving it around a bit
(sort of like grounding out one's ruler by smacking it against a
table); it probably discharged all the static electricity.

(has anyone ever seen a BOFH excuse-of-the-day book actually put
together)?

Carl Soderstrom
Everything I need to know about computer administration I learned from
the BOFH.
bofh.ntk.net