On Jun 27, 2000, Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> random sidenote -- I saw today what may be a reason we write `daemon' in
> Unix (but I'm probably wrong).  If you translate from German, or another
> language with umlauts, it's customary to do `ae' instead of `ä'
> (`&auml;' in HTML), `oe' instead of `ö', etc.  So, dämon -> daemon.

A quick perusal of dictionary.com debunks this theory:

  http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=daemon

  [Middle English from Late Latin daemon, from Latin spirit, from Greek
  daimon, divine power; see da in Indo-European Roots.]

NOTE: It's missing a bit of markup, particularly the "a" and "o" with a
bar over it (see the web page).

(c:

John

--