They might not feel good about supplying dual formats, but you might
want to ask if they could supply flat text files of the data you want.
It might actually be easier for them to do.

Oracle has a reputation for being solid and reliable, but not for easy
administration. I think setting up some other database might be easier
and less costly (in time and money).

You might be able to kludge together an Access DB/"program" that would
open the other Access DB, export it to flat files, then process them
from there. Unfortunately, that would be relying more heavily on Windows
and (especially) Access than I could recommend.

Timothy Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Troy A. Johnson wrote:
>
> > You can export the Access tables to flat files, transmogrify them with
> > Perl, and then use Perl to load PostgreSQL from the transmogrified flat
> > files. I mention the transmogrification process because Access's text
> > output will probably need to be modified, and you might want to use
> > another more comfortable tool to load your database (though I don't know
> > what that would be). I am assuming that the data will live in the
> > PostgreSQL/MySQL database and you won't keep going back to the Access
> > file. Is this coreect?
>
> Why don't I fill everyone in a little bit on what I'm trying to do. Someone
> might have an idea about a better overall approach.
>
> All of the student data that our school district uses on a daily basis
> (grades, schedules, attendance, personal information) lives in an Oracle
> database at TIES, our district's ISP and creator of the TIES Student
> Information System (TSIS). We contract with them to provide technology
> services such as report card printing, scheduling, attendance, etc.
>
> I'm trying to create a Web site that uses Zope. We'd like to make some of
> that student data available to staff on our intranet and use other parts to
> allow students to view their own attendance, grades, and eventually display
> lists of upcoming assignments and other goodies.
>
> The easiest solution would be to use Zope's Oracle Database adaptor and
> connect to the TIES DB directly. They apparently don't like that idea. They
> will, however, make data available to use in the form of tables for MS
> Access--probably using a nightly mirror or something. This has been utilized
> for various small projects before, although I haven't been involved with it.
>
> The next easiest solution would be to connect directly to Access using ODBC.
> Unfortunately the ODBC Database adaptor only works on Windows. There is no
> Linux-compatible version. There is, however, a very nice PostgreSQL Database
> adaptor which brings me to the third possibility...
>
> I could install PostgreSQL on the Web server and do a nightly mirror of the
> Access tables to Postgres. The problem is that I don't know how to do this
> step.
>
> We've also considered setting up our own Oracle DB here at school. No knows
> anything about Oracle, however, and I don't think I have time to be
> full-time teacher and part-time sys admin/Webmaster/ *and* Oracle DBA.
>
> I'd love to hear any ideas that anyone might have.
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
> Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/
> W. St. Paul, MN |                              | http://slashdot.org/
> wilson at visi.com |   <dtml-var pithy_quote>     | http://linux.com/

Troy Johnson   mailto:john1536 at tc.umn.edu   http://umn.edu/~john1536/
Never could an increase of comfort or security be a sufficient good to
be
bought at the price of liberty.
	-- Hillaire Belloc