yes.. a null modem.. aka laplink cable will work just fine.. I'm not
familiar with the EB164 boards, I have a couple of SX164 boards, and have
worked with a few other alpha models.. they do support serial booting,
what you are going to end up with is the SRM command line for digital
unix, it is mostly useless for running linux, because most of the distro's
don't support BSD style partition tables.. (you can't use a drive with
fdisk partition tables with SRM, afaik)  so you are going to want to
switch back to the ARC (NT) boot mode.. or the alphabios mode (depending
on what kind you have).. there is also a way to reset this functionality
with firmware updates from digital.. but they can be a pain in the ass to
load on some systems.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)