I'd need a proper null modem cable instead of just a patch cable to do
that right?

I've never set up serial terminal before... I looked through the HOW-TOs
but it wasn't clear if I could use the Linux box as a terminal for
something else.  Mostly what I saw was how to set up a terminal on a
Linux box serial port.

Charlie