Jonathan Kline wrote:

I've pondered this problem a little.  I had a thought but haven't actually
tried it.  I'll just toss it out there, feel free to shoot it down.

What if you built the system you want on a loopback device, LILO and all.  Then
burn the image to a CD.  I could see how this might confuse LILO, it not
knowing where to bootstrap the kernel from.

A couple of questions that may be important.  Does LILO store the boot info as
an absolute address on a disk or relative to itself?  Does it even matter if
you did this all inside a file with loopback;  i.e. would LILO just get it
right for the file and carry it over to the CD when you burnt the image?

Charlie