Here's something I've been ignorant about because, well, I was ignorant
about it..

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.html

The gist:  You may have noticed on many systems that /usr/include/asm is
a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/asm.  Therefore, these files change
when you unpack a new kernel into /usr/src/linux.  Apparently, this is a
Bad Thing, as some programs try to compile against the new headers,
while your C libraries are compiled against the old headers.

I don't quite understand the whole issue, but the basic fix is to *not*
put new kernels into /usr/src/linux, and compile them in $HOME or
somewhere else instead.  Of course, if you're going around re-complinig
C libraries all of the time, then go ahead and put the kernel in
/usr/src/linux

There are still some things that could be broken by this, but hopefully
they're a very small minority of what an ordinary Linux user would be
compiling..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Batteries not included.