> Listen I know that this question has nothing to do with linux but since this
> list is full of knowledgeable, friendly and technologically inclined people who
> know allot about net working I was hoping that you could help me. (did I suck up
> enough?) Anyway my friend has DSL from USwest ohh no I'm sorry its now Quest.
> What I want to do is hook up our computers so that both of us can play Half-life
> online sharing the one DSL Connection. Now my question is if possible how would
> I get this idea to work. I believe that some how it must be possible due to the
> simplicity of windows networking, but I thought that I would get a second
> opinion and some suggestions first before I drag my computer over.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> A loyal Linux user.

You need a gateway.  If you use Windows95/98 you need thrid party
software, maybe something like SyGate, which turns one computer into a
gateway.  Unix machines are inherently gateways.  There are many ways
you can setup your network using a Linux machine to facilitate a
gateway.  The way I've done this in the past is to use a Linux machine
with two LAN cards, one for the DSL router and the other for my local
LAN.  Setup the network stuff accordingly (default gateway, DNS, etc...)
and use ipchains to setup IP firewall rules.  ipchains is the key to
turning your machine into a gateway.  There are quite a few README's on
the topic, which will supply a much better description than I could
possibly do.  To give you an example, the following lines in my rc.local
setup my firewall:

/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.6.1.0/8 -j MASQ

My local network is 192.6.1.0.

The other option is to buy a "smart" router/hub.  There are quite a few
products on the market that act as both a hub and gateway.  Most often
they are configurable via a web page.  I've seen them advertised for
around $150.

I think Linux is your best bet. :)

--
Seth Bernsen