huh.. i don't know about you.. but all 4 of my debian machines don't have
sshd:ALL in the /etc/hosts.allow.. and yes.. there are specs for the
compile.. it's located in the source directory, and as part of apt.
add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list
deb-src http://stuff distro main contrib non-free
then cd to a nice scratch area (where you want the source downloaded)
apt-get source pkg-name
that will download teh source, and all of the requirements
then, apt-get --build pkg-name
that will start the automated build process.. just play around a bit.. and
it will love you, just as much as you love debian :)

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)