When I telnet it works fine. Although i am running telnet-ssl so I might not
be getting the troubleshooting info your looking for.
I will walk through a session quick

Client:
root at gohan /root> ssh jasonj at innominatus.com

Server:
/var/log/auth.log
Jul 27 11:00:48 guru sshd[1003]: refused connect from #.#.#.#

I have rebooted (although I shouldnt have to, I tried) and restarted sshd
numerous times. Same result.

Troy: I have not installed anything recently. I tried to apt-get upgrade
several times a week, however I have not done this at the time the problem
started. I did attempt this after the problem started hoping for an update to
sshd.