Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> I've been testing out the Amanda backup system lately; and am wondering about security on it.
> As I understand the documentation, backing up Windows machines is done with tar or smbtar from a Samba server; which is plaintext. Also, while Amanda can use Kerberos authentication; it doesn't mention encrypting the backup traffic.
>
> so how can one go about securing Amanda traffic?

It looks like there is a patch or two out there that would give Amanda
the ability to be tunneled through SSL.  One of them is here:
http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~pkern/stuff/amanda-patch/

Other references that I've found so far seem to indicate that encryption
will be enabled in the 2.5.x series of Amanda, but I don't know when
that will appear.

I'm interested in this, too.  At work, we are still running ufsdump (for
Solaris), which requires at least some of those dreaded r* programs.
(Apparently, Linux's dump(8) program can handle SSH, just FYI.)  Would
you recommend Amanda (apart from the encryption issue)?

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   If you saw a heat wave,