This was originally send to some friends and co-workers.  Excuse the
opinions and assumptions about your knowledge levels.

Hiya All,

	Logging in from my Hotel Room at the Monterey Marriot, fully
equipped with DSL (totally free if you're using ssh only!).  Just wanted
to let you know the fun information I learned about what's going on in the
open source world.   Let me just give you the information
using, ask me about them later.  I'm too lazy to tailor an email to
everyone who's going to be getting this message.

First day:  New O'Reilly Books coming out/just released.
Perl for System Administrators
Programming Perl, 3rd Edition (The Camel book becomes comprehensible.
I've always thought this one was a bad book to try to learn perl from
because it wasn't functionally oriented. This new edition keeps all the
same information, but is much better, I think)
Understanding the Linux Kernel!

Tutorials:

Beginning Python:  This was a pretty good class, but I guess I find
nothing so great about Python that it beats out Perl in my book.  It's
kind of the "OS/2" of languages: better organized than many languages,
and built upon a cleaner base, but having some annoyances that make the
uglier but MUCH better supported competitor win out (in this case being
whitespace sensitive...ick!).

PHP: On the other hand, PHP is DA BOMB for doing simple web work that
isn't complicated enough to need Perl or C, and even some that isn't.
There are some things in any cgi language that would take forty lines of
code that take three in PHP, and it's actually MORE efficient.  Plus
modules for things like image and PDF generation; it's now my web
development language of choice.

Apache Security:  This was taught by Lincoln Stein, who had done huge
amounts of work with the web and perl, but most recently brought us the
napster perl module (whoo hoo!)  It was very informative at the end, but
the security information was a little basic.

Linux Security: This was simply too basic.  I was hoping they'd get into
things like pam, complex ssh configuration, sniffing tools, netcat, etc:
instead it was your typical intro security class.

Other sessions:

StarOffice is going Open Source (no news for those who read Slashdot).  I
talked to them about a number of things, including Anti-Aliasing support
(it's in there with Gnome...maybe with others later) Security for their
Basic language (think Macro viruses--they claim Java is their new
scripting language) and response files for installation.  That's COOL.

Mozilla looks like it's going well, although I was VERY disappointed by
the answer I received as to how they went about evaluating and setting the
standards for the GUI.  The answer was basically that they made it
competitive, and the "best GUI" won.  I don't buy that for GUIs, and so
I'm worried that even if Mozilla is bulletproof it's going to have a
default GUI that's crap.

Samba looks well on it's way to being ready to be a drop in replacement
for Windows NT 4.0 Server by the first quarter next year.  DFS support
should be here by the end of 3rd quarter, and it should be able to
function completely transparently as a PDC or BDC including proper print
sharing by early next year.  I'm not sure about active directory services,
though, but DFS is a good start.

The only "event" I really enjoyed was of course the "Internet Quiz Show"
by John Orwant, who is a former college bowl player.  The last question
was something like:

"President Bill Clinton recently signed into law the Digital Signature
act, and did this by using a special terminal which took his name and
password.   The password used by the leader of the free world was five
characters, all lower case, and was the name of his DOG.  What was
Clinton's password?"

Monterey is beautiful, but I'm eager to get on to San Francisco.  I had a
lot of seafood and just got done biking the 17 mile drive.   Should be a
party for the rest of the weekend.

See you all later.

Jer

When all else fails, men turn to reason.

--Abba Eban