On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Will the VA boxen run NT or Linux?
>
> As you know, we are almost VA exclusive at Real Time, there is exceptional
> Sparc Linux box. But VA kicks all over Compaq when it comes to the bang for
> the buck.
>
> We had a client buy some high end Compaq hardware, they also rock, but the
> cost has monsterous.
>
> I did not so the install on the Compaq boxen, Nate any comments on the
> install?

Everything supported out of the box (even their Raid controller).. the
RAID config software was really nasty (have to boot off a cd and then go
in to it, etc).. really ugly. I much prefer Mylex's BIOS-level
configuration utility...

Other than that, my only complaint is the lack of raid status while the
machine is running. With the Mylex controllers, you can get status on
individual disks, etc. With the Compaq, all I've been able to get is
general status (OK, Dead Drive, Panic)..

> I do share in the admin of the Compaq boxen and they seem to be rock solid.

That they are. The one thing I prefer about the compaqs over the VA's is
dual hotswap power supplies in a 4u.. where with VA, you have to go to
their 7u case to get that..