> Getting back to the home, end, delete, insert keys, I realized a while
> after I started using Linux that I was not able to use those keys in
> most situations, and it got really annoying.  Now, after using pico for
> so long, I don't use home and end much anymore.  To get to the end of a
> line, I go down a line, get to the beginning of that line, and do one
> more left-arrow keystroke to get to the end of the previous line.  It
> really annoys me that this doesn't work in vi, as the arrow keys won't
> wrap around to the next/previous line when you reach the beginning or
> end.

Oooh, I just ran into this today. ;) (Also a newbie vi user)

Escape to command mode, i is to insert befor cursor, right? a will
append after cursor. Now a capital A will append at the end of the line,
and I will insert before the line.

Nuked jed, making myself use vi. Yup. Its not so bad when you got a
cheat sheet. ;)

> guess the Motif text widget must be really good.  I don't particularly
> like the text editing widget in Gtk, as it doesn't let the home and end
> keys work in a way that I like (well, maybe there's an option
> somewhere...).  If a line wraps around, the home and end keys can take
> you to the beginning or end of an entire paragraph.  Yucky..

It might just be the version I have, but the GTK editor widget is
slooooooooow. Like, a 3 second delay for every charachter typed to show.
Scrolling is slooow...