> Again, Vim does pretty nice colorized text, but it only seems to work well
> in the console and in rxvt -- everything else looks awful, and since at
> work I can't use either of those, I can't use syntax coloring.

I've messed with this a lot, and it depends on your terminal emulation.  At
work I have an RS/6000 on my desk and I can't get vim's colors to work in
anything but AIX's crappy aixterm.  If you can't get syntax highlighting to
work in your term, try messing with your TERM variable and if that fails,
terminfo hacking is the last resort.

> I also wish Vim was smarter about indents, like Emacs.

add "set cindent" to your .vimrc. It's not just C indenting as the name implies.
It seems to work well in perl, shell, java and such as well.

> vi never wraps lines, which is annoying for writing long things (which is
> why I'm writing in Emacs right now). Emacs has good support for most file
> formats, thankfully. Though I am not getting tab support in HTML mode like
> in C mode. Does this feature exist, or is all Emacs-HTML unindented?

Ah, you haven't discovered vim's nifty "gq" sequence.  Read up on it a bit.
For example, I'm in vim and type an entire paragraph, yet vim thinks it a single
line.  I go to the beginning of the line and hit

gqG

And it breaks my single line into multiple lines and left justifies everything.
Very nice...

Gabe
Gabe Turner		X-President, ACM @ U of MN	     dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Leave everything to me!!"
			- Powdered Toast Man in "Powdered Toast Man"