Tim,

I think the best way to do this is to create a script that sets up the
environment (or sources /root/.bash_profile if that makes sense to you)
and runs the client. If there a standard location for cron scripts on
your system (/cron, /etc/cron, or something similar), put it there.

Oh, and make sure you reference all files in cron jobs (and cron
scripts) using their full path. This relieves many cron headaches. Good
luck,

Troy

Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Can I use a reference to an environment variable for a cron entry. I'm
> trying to run a setiathome client, and I've got SETIDIR set to the place
> where the client keeps the work unit it's crunching on. I've got the SETIDIR
> set in /root/.bash_profile, but I'm doubting that crond will know what
> $SETIDIR is. Any hints?
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
> Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/
> W. St. Paul, MN |                              | http://slashdot.org/
> wilson at visi.com |   <dtml-var pithy_quote>     | http://linux.com/

Troy Johnson   mailto:john1536 at tc.umn.edu   http://umn.edu/~john1536/
Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation,
that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defence?  Where is the
difference between having our arms in our own possession and under our
own direction, and having them under the management of Congress?  If
our defence be the *real* object of having those arms, in whose hands
can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in
our own hands?
        -- Patrick Henry, speech of June 9 1788