> > > statistics *never* imply causality, nor guarantee outcomes.
> >              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >              That's not true              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 	                                   that is.
>
> I'm not going to argue the point.  Look in any statistics book at your
> convenience.  What I said is provably correct, so I have no bones to pick
> about it.~

Come back and talk to me when you've gone through a stats Ph.D. program.

> > I've had poopy experience with Compaqs, but nigh on 2 years ago.
> > out of 12 systems delivered, 3 were DOA, one had no CPU in it.
> > That's where the problem started.
>
> I have apparently been the exception that proves the rule.  I have a
> Compaq that works OK, but it's a home desktop sort (Presario?).  Even
> though it works OK, it has no upgrade path, so that bites.

That'd be a huge deal for me, but not necessarily for the application that
started the thread.

Never have I seen Compaq to stand out in terms of performance. I've also
heard too many reports of other quality control problems.

But I wonder why VALinux is the only one mentioned -- is there an option
to consider e.g., Dell? This way you can sorta compare apples to apples,
by taking the same systems and evaluating the vendor's (relatively new)
Linux support vs. the more established Win32 support.

Andy