Well I found a solution on Usenet, for any interested parties here it is:

Are you by chance running openssh?  They make an XAUTH per session in
a tmp file rather than simply using the ~/.Xauthority file you already
have for all your Xsessions

Here is my quick hacked editclient.sh that makes the XEmacs process
merge the new Xauthority into its own $XAUTHORITY file, which is
different than the one you're getting from the remote session.

#!/bin/bash
if gnuclient -batch -eval t >/dev/null 2>&1
then

  if [ "$XAUTHORITY" != "" ]; then
     gnuclient -batch -f "shell-command \"xauth merge $XAUTHORITY\"" \
        >/dev/null 2>&1
  fi
  exec gnuclient -q ${1+"$@"}
else
  xemacs -unmapped -f gnuserv-start &
  until gnuclient -batch -eval t >/dev/null 2>&1
  do
     sleep 1
  done
  exec gnuclient -q ${1+"$@"}