On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Jonathan Kline wrote:

> Heres the deal: I have an email server which has an internet IP and a valid
> domain name.  I also have a second box on the same network with a domain
> name and a real IP.  The first box is teh email server for the school.  The
> second box is my private play toy... it acts as my email server and play
> server.  Generally I test everything on box 2 before I go and put it on box
> 1. We need to bring box 1 down tomarrow for some maitence, and we have no
> secondary mail server defined..... Small problem? Maybe.  Box 1 is running
> Sendmail and my box, box 2 is running Qmail.  Is there anyway to have my
> box, box 2, Accept all Mail for box 1, queue, don't try to deliver it, then
> have me manually enter a command to transfer all mail recieved by box 2 back
> to box 1?  Therefore there would only be about 2 minutes of downtime vs
> about 2 hours?  Is this to complex? I plan on changing the ip of box2 to
> match that of box if this possible!
>
> Thanks for the input and advice.

You just need to configure Qmail to relay for your domain, but not deliver
locally. In sendmail, you would simply add the domain to the
/etc/mail/access file and say to relay, but I'm not sure how to do this on
Qmail. But, for the future, it'd be a good idea to leave this set up and
define your playbox as the secondary MX. Or find an ISP willing to do
secondary for you...